MARION Cotillard wearing Ray-Ban’s printed Clubmaster shades
Sunglasses for summer? Yes, not exactly groundbreaking, but this season is the time to set aside your classic black pair and go bolder, brighter, and bigger.
Miuccia Prada was ahead of the game last year with her retro-inspired oversized frames for Prada and Miu Miu. Then in the Spring/Summer ’13 shows, statement sunglasses were a standout all over runways.
The latest sunglasses are edgier, more colorful, and more embellished than before, like they came out of Lady Gaga’s closet— the quirkier, the better.ADVERTISEMENT
It’s pretty much the same thing as wearing a big necklace or cuff—a way to express one’s personal style, but only this time, the focus is on the eyes.
Prada’s embellished pair and Just Cavalli’s reflective lenses are all the rage with fashion insiders, but whatever your style, budget and face shape, there are hundreds of styles to choose from.
How to wear them
The good thing about statement sunglasses is that there’s not just one way to wear them, since there are so many available designs out there. Some new styles to try:
EVAMENDES wearing Prada’s Baroque sunglasses
1. Bold—For the more adventurous, look for rims that have a sharp angle, a large boxed shape, maybe a bit of flare or wing tip at the edges. The exaggerated cat’s eye shape is often spotted on fashionistas and celebrities.
2. Two-tone—Similar to this season’s high-contrast trend, the two-tone ombre style is another popular option, like those from brands like Celine and Super. If you like wearing neutral colors, this is a different way to wear them.
3. Embellished—If you’re the type who likes embellishment on clothes, this might be the style for you. Prada’s version is the season standout, but if you’re creative enough, you also do your own DIY version. Just grab one of your old pairs, and create your own customized version with beads and crystals.
4. Color—If you think you’re too conservative to wear this trend, you can always keep the shape you prefer and instead experiment with a brighter color. Ray-Ban, for example, recentlyADVERTISEMENT
Scarlett Johannson wearing cat-eye sunglasses by TomFord
introduced more colors of the brand’s classic aviator and Wayfarer styles. Polarized lenses are another option, plus it gives added protection to your eyes.
5. Texture and prints—If oversized frames are not your style, another option is to play with textures and prints. Some sunnies come in stripes and florals, or for a luxe look, go for leather or snakeskin-covered frames.
Another thing you should consider when choosing sunglasses, of course, is your face shape. Oversized ones tend to flatter most face shapes, but if you have a round face, avoid choosing round frames (it will only make your face seem bigger), and vise versa for those with squarish jaws.
And as with any statement accessory, don’t pile on the statement necklaces and chandelier earrings with bold frames. Go for more delicate jewelry on your ears and neck to make your sunnies (and you) stand out.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Let's block ads! (Why?)